The Academy holds a high standard for music education with each of our talented staff members possessing degrees in education and performance.
Our mission is to guide our student body in fulfilling their desire to comprehend the language of music, and yearn for more study after each lesson every week. A positive environment is infectious, and we strive to spread that level of positivity toward every student who encounters the Academy and its mission for music education success.
Our number one goal is successfully integrating music education with the healing properties of music therapy & child movement. The ability to fuse all music educational needs opens the doors to endless possibilities within modern day teaching methods. By exploring, creating, replicating, and observing music, students will build their technical and expressive skills. They develop their artistry, and embrace the power of music to communicate without condescension under the same roof. Learning to play an instrument is an experience that enriches the mind, and soothes the soul. Music is a universal language that binds us together as a people; and the diversity of our student body is what drives our success.
Who is Joseph Burcaw, aka “Bearclaw” you may ask? An educator, bass player, performer, writer, bandleader and music enthusiast with vision. He held down the bass chair position with Irish rockers BLACK 47 for close to a decade, and spent multiple years as bass dept. head of Boston’s School of Rock teaching private and group lessons on a consistent basis. Now with B47 having retired, and recently relocating to the Litchfield county area, he remains grounded with optimism and growth with the advent of his brainchild, Bearclaw’s Academy of Music, or B.A.M. for short. A music academy offering lessons, workshops, recitals, performances and music therapy sessions, just to name a few. Bearclaw’s Academy of Music serves the community by bringing people of all walks of life together for one objective, learning the language of music as a healing component to nurture the soul.
School of Rock, Boston Mass. 2013-16
– Bass Dept. Chair (Bass & Guitar Instruction)
Montessori School, Washington CT. 2014
– Summer Camp Music Teacher
Private Door to Door & Skype Instruction. 2011-present
The Bass Collective, Manhattan New York. 2005-2010
– Solo Bass Clinician
New York Pops, Manhattan New York 2003-2004
– Substitute Bass Guitar Instructor
– Group Performances & Lessons
New Milford Music Center, New Milford CT 2000-2002
– Private & Group Bass Guitar Instruction
– Over 20 students on a consistent basis
Private (in studio bass instruction) 1994-2000
– Bass player for Irish group BLACK 47 (close to a decade of service)
– CBS NY Weekend Morning Edition (live interview)
– The Tonight Show w/Jimmy Fallon (live performance)
– VH-1’s Morning Buzz w/Nick Lachey (live performance)
– Fox & Friends Live (live performance)
– Fearless TV Fox (studio performance)
– WRXP (live radio interview & performance)
– The Food Network (studio performance)
– Sounds of Ireland (Irish television documentary PBS)
– NPR Columbus Ohio In The Studio (live interview & performance)
– Fox Live Boston (live performance)
– WFNX Boston (live interview)
– Many more interviews & performance credits upon request
– Bachelors of Arts (Amer. Studies of Music) Salve Regina Univ.
– Minor (Music Performance) Salve Regina Univ.
– Diploma of Audio/Post Production S.A.E. (Manhattan)
Joe is such an inspirational teacher! He is very nice and easy going. My daughter has been taking bass lessons with Joe for 6 months now, Domenica is very happy with him. I had a few lessons with Joe myself, and he made me feel that you are never too old to learn to play the guitar!
I picked up the bass in my thirties with no musical experience whatsoever. I answered an ad for lessons and inside of a year I've been playing gigs. Joe has been patient and understanding of my limited practice time and still somehow has made me more than a proficient player. Studying with a real mu
Joe is a great teacher, his ability to pass along knowledge and do it to the level of the learner is extraordinary. I have had many teachers & instructors across a variety of disciplines both artistic and professional in my life. Joe is one of a handful of teachers I truly respect and feel sets
I love what my girls got from Bearclaw's Academy of Music. We are on the road, but my girls needed some piano practice time in order to prepare for the UK Royal Academy of Music Examination next month. We are so happy to find Joe and Bearclaw. Joe was helpful and accommodated our needs by working ar
Our daughter was admitted to Frost School of Music at U Miami, largely thanks to Joe's help preparing the audition tapes and subsequently practicing for the live audition - not only for the performance but for also the theory test. Joe has been her biggest cheerleader. He stepped in when she nee